Fort Barrancas and Fort Barrancas National Cemetery


Fort Barrancas Historic Postcard



NAS Pensacola
Pensacola, FL 32508




(850) 455-5167

Managed by the National Park Service as part of the Gulf Islands National Seashore, the first fort was built by the British on this site in 1763. Developed as an artillery training center prior to WWII, the 13th Coast Artillery Regiment occupied this site when the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor. Supported by modern coastal defense batteries constructed near Fort McRee, Fort Barrancas served as the headquarters for this area of the coastal defense system.  As Allied military successes continued, by late 1942 the post focused on training artillery units.  Removal of all guns and equipment occurred in 1946 and the fort was deactivated in 1947.  Reopened in 1980 by the National Park Service, this site is open to the public on a regular schedule